|Li Quan Khooemail@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Research Software Development Engineer - Ocean 5 Technologies Singapore|
2017 - present
Working with a team of electrical and mechanical engineers, we developed a tractor system and a drill assembly equipped with sensors and GPS, for making certain types of rocky terrain feasible for agriculture. Part of a government initiative to improve accountability and yield through technology and data, especially in remote locations with unreliable internet access. I am responsible for building embedded control systems for pilot input, hydraulics, engine, and power, as well as the Python backend and UI of the analytics platform.
|R&D Scientist - Digital:MR|
Feasibility study on sentiment analysis of images in social media, funded by a research grant from the UK government's technology strategy board. Starting from the Yfcc100m and YLI datasets comprised of 100 million images, labels, and metadata, I investigated both novel and existing methods and developed a commercial product, which has since evolved to be based on convolutional neural nets.
|Research Intern - Microsoft Research Cambridge|
Research internship through the Bright Minds Intern Competition programme in the Machine Learning and Perception research group, working with Principal / Senior Researchers Pushmeet Kohli, Yoram Bachrach, Ulrich Paquet, and Filip Radlinski.
I worked on Project SmartFence - an application for web access control. Users block or allow a few sites they know about, and SmartFence automatically infers the suitability of the rest of the web. We developed several different cluster/kernel-based models and visualization schemes. The final model generates a high dimensional embedding of websites from search sessions (think associated filtering). I delivered a prototype for the OneWeek company-wide hackathon, and a patent was applied for.
|Founding Developer - www.unientry.org|
Internship with UniEntry to develop a pilot site to help sixth form students find the right university. Developed a platform that filters information from the UK's Higher Education Statistics Agency and gives recommendations based on students' registered information and grades.
|Stanford University (Center for Professional Development) - Graduate Certificate in AI|
2017 - present
- CS231n Convolutional Neural Networks for Visual Recognition (Spring 2017) - Capstone: Bounding out-of-sample objects
- CS234 Reinforcement Learning (Winter 2019) - ongoing
|University College London - MEng Computer Science, First Class Honours|
2011 - 2015
- Final year research project - Predicting Personality from Twitter
- Information Retrieval and Data Mining Prize (research and poster session)
- Best Undergraduate Research Group Project of the Year - Task Identification Using Search Engine Query Logs
- Developed a platform-agnostic home automation system for remote surveillance, command and control
- Developed an Android app for the Restless Beings charity to conduct field studies on children in poorly-developed countries
|Imperial College London - School of Medicine - MBBS Medicine|
2009 - 2011
- I studied principles of anatomy, physiology, cellular pathways etc. Withdrew in second year to transition to computer science
|Concord College, Shrewsbury - GCE A levels (Pre-A*) - AAAAab|
2008 - 2009
- Outstanding Student of the Year 2008 - Double award (Chemistry, Music) | Most imaginative hovercraft design
I am interested in all forms of data-driven decision-making, especially when there is a direct impact on quality of life or productivity, e.g. imaging and natural language systems, assistive technologies, robotics, or medical applications. I value simplicity, clarity, and the ability to adapt and learn, in both systems and people.
|Spoken languages and personal interests|